The basics of humics… FAQ
- What are humics? Humic substances can be broken down into humic acid and fulvic acid. Humic acid is a principal component of humic substances. Humic substances are the
major organic constituents of soil (humus), peat, and coal. They are also found in upland streams, lakes, and ocean water. Humic substances are produced by the decomposition of organic matter.
- How can humics help me to increase my yield? Humics stimulate microbial activity in soil, help break up compacted soil, assist in transferring micronutrients from the soil to the plant, enhance water retention, increase seed germination, and improve the breakdown of plant residue.
- Will I get an ROI? It is widely recognized that by improving the soil and stimulating the plant, increased yields will follow. University and on-the-farm trials have shown significant improvements in the overall health of soil and plants, and therefore you should see a return on your investment.
- Why do different humic products have different percentages? There is no industry standard for the analysis of humics and different manufacturers use different testing methods. Consequently, we see different results on labeling. The Humic Products Trade Association of which Monty’s is a member, is leading the effort to bring standardized testing to both state regulators and the agriculture industry. Although a new standard has been approved, adoption is slow.
- How can Monty’s lower % humic be better than the competition’s higher % humic? Whether its 50%, 25%, or 12.6%, humics in their natural state are insoluble. This means they cannot disperse effectively through the soil profile. Monty’s proprietary processing technology makes our product the most active and soluble available. Our humics are more pure and have the ideal humic-to-fulvic ratio to provide for maximum yield and success. We understand the right concentration of humic substances to maximize biological stimulation. This is why our lower concentrations are more effective. This is our advantage.
- What is purity (active ingredients) versus non-purity (active ingredients)? Our humics are purified and contain primarily humic substances (beneficial material). In other products, there is clay and ash (non-beneficial material) bound to the humic substances, which can lead to performance issues, including clogging of spray equipment. This is our advantage.
- Can you use too much? Application of Monty’s® Liquid Carbon™ and Dri-Carbon™ at rates up to 50 times those recommended, are not toxic or harmful to the environment – including soil, plant, and native soil microorganisms. Monty’s recommended application rates allow for maximum, cost-
- How can you apply two quarts to an acre and get results? Our proprietary humics are purified and activated, have the correct humic-to-fulvic ratio, and are applied at the optimum hum